Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy
At Forest Creek Chiropractic, we’re committed to staying on top of the newest and most effective treatments to offer patients great pain relief. Therefore, we’ve made Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy (MyACT) part of our pain management program. MyACT is mainly used to treat chronic and acute pain in muscles, joints, and tendons.
We adopted MyACT in January 2022 and quickly realized this was the breakthrough we needed to make a lasting change in our patient’s health and vastly improve their treatment outcomes. Since then, we have seen patients with chronic conditions like plantar fasciitis be completely resolved in just five visits. Another patient that suffered from hip pain for a decade was able to walk a 10k with no pain, something unthinkable before being treated with MyACT.
Our patients refer to MyACT as magic or witchcraft, but all agree it is remarkable and effective.
What is Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy?
Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy (MyACT) is a modern technology that uses sound energy pulses known as “acoustic waves” to treat different painful conditions of the musculoskeletal system.
An acoustic wave is an intense and short-duration acoustic wave that travels faster than the speed of sound. Using acoustic waves, MyACT targets tissues at varying depths by compressing and manipulating your tissue, resulting in a focused and precise deep tissue massage.
What is MyACT Good For?
MyACT can be used in the musculoskeletal system, such as pain and dysfunction associated with trigger points. Diagnosis and identification of the pain triggering points can be achieved using MyACT. The abnormal musculoskeletal tissue is “flared” with focused MyACT to define the target areas that need treatment.
The process of identifying the origins of pain is guided by a patient through verbal feedback to pinpoint the location and intensity of the treatment.
What to Expect with MyACT Treatment
- Our chiropractor identifies the treatment area(s) and develops a treatment plan depending on the objective and subjective findings.
- Our chiropractor will apply a thin coat of coupling gel to the target area to help translate acoustic sound waves from the sound head to your body.
- The chiropractor will start treatment at a low-intensity setting and increase power depending on the patient’s tolerance and the treatment area. The acoustic wave frequency and output level will vary depending on the type and location of tissue being treated.
- The acoustic sound head is “wanded” around the affected area and focuses on the areas where you elicit a dull ache. You’ll report when you feel the ache, and Dr. Herb will adjust the intensity to a tolerable level. The treatment will be based on your feedback with the chiropractor.
- Once the treatment is concluded, the chiropractor wipes away the coupling gel, and you will return to your normal daily activities. It’s likely you may experience minor discomfort or aches after the treatment, and it is common for patients to notice reddened or flushed skin around the treatment area. We advise you to hydrate (20oz more than regular water intake) before and after treatment to flush your body and get rid of toxins.
- It is also recommended that cryotherapy (ice pack) be applied to the area for 10 minutes several hours after treatment to reduce discomfort.
- Treatment usually lasts five to twenty minutes.
- The frequency of treatment ranges from 7 to 14 days.
- Four to ten treatments may be needed before you achieve lasting improvement for chronic conditions
- With acute pain, only a few sessions may be successful.
MyACT Effectively Treats Pain Resulting From:
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Soft tissue strains
- Trigger points
- Sports-related injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Occupational injuries
- Pain in the back, neck, shoulders, and buttocks region
- Hip, knee, and other leg discomforts
- Chronic pain in transitional regions between muscles and tendons
Benefits of Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy
- Eliminates adhesions and trigger points within muscles, thus improving range of motion
- Alleviates muscle tightness and pain, improves circulation and promotes healing
- Focused sound waves for managing chronic and acute pain in muscles, joints, and tendons
- Improves circulation, which promotes tissue regeneration and growth
Contraindications for MyACT
In principle, Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy is hardly contraindicated and very safe. However, there are some conditions that we avoid when treating our patients. They are:
- Taking blood thinning medication
- Tumor tissue
- MyACT shouldn’t be used to treat the head
- Blood clotting disorders (it may be necessary to check the coagulation status of the patient)
- Lungs and other air-containing organs in the focal area such as the gastrointestinal tract, etc.
Does Myofascial Acoustic Compression Therapy Work?
Acoustic Compression Therapy is a relatively new technology in the United States that has been used in Europe for many years. Thousands of peer-reviewed scientific journal articles have been written and published describing the usefulness, effectiveness, and safety of MyACT (also referred to as Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in medical journals) in a wide array of issues.
With a worldwide clinical success rate of 77%-80%, most patients who are treated with ACT report less pain and quicker healing times.
Find out for yourself just how effective MyACT is. Contact us today and book an appointment.